Rusty Carruth wrote:

> Pierre Fortin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "GROUWELS, Daniel" wrote:
> > >
> > > How can I tell linux which port to use on my old cards??
> > > Standard ois the ethernet port.
> > >
> > > It works perfectly.
> > >
> > > The problem is that I created 3 subnets.
> > >
> > > And the third one connected via the BNC.
> > >
> > > But I cant get it work.
> > >
> > > Daniel
> >
> > If you are trying to use 2 or 3 of the RJ45/AUI/BNC connectors, that won't
> > work.  You need to select one.
>
> on the other hand, if this is what he's trying to do (i.e. select which one
> he wants) then the answer is - it depends upon the card.

Well... I read "created 3 subnets", "Standard...works perfectly", "third one
connected via the BNC...cant get it work" and there are 3 connectors...  :>

[snip]

> Oh - and if you can avoid BNC-based (10base2 as I recall) networking you'll
> be much happier!  With 10baseT if one segment fails you don't lose your
> entire network.  With 10base2 if one segment fails everything is down,
> and you have to check every single connection along the wire.  IF you
> only have 2 hosts hooked together its not a big deal.  But if you have
> 100 hosts then thats at least 300 possible failure points!  (200 if you
> don't count the connection into the pc, but that's a bad assumption - because
> if the PC is hosed it can cream your entire network also!)

If you have more than 32 hosts on a 10b2 segment, you are violating the
specs...  this is a "party line" bus, so too many "nosy neighbors"...  10b5 is
better if properly installed; but "vampire taps" were too common and a
disaster...

> I used 10base2 for a little while to hook my firewall into my hub at
> home - and it would die randomly (approximatly once a month on average,
> but sometimes once per week!) requiring a 'reboot' of the hub.  I found
> a cheap 10baseT ethernet card and got rid of the BNC!  And I've had no
> problems any more.

Termination errors, flaky BNC pins, and kinked/broken braid are the common
causes.

Pierre