Rusty Carruth wrote:

> Pierre Fortin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If you have more than 32 hosts on a 10b2 segment, you are violating the specs...
>
> Well, see what I mean?  ;-)  (I probably knew that number once, but it had long
> since disappeared from my parity-prone memory ;-)
>
> >  this is a "party line" bus, so too many "nosy neighbors"...  10b5 is
>
> a.k.a AUI, right?

Almost...  depends on whether it's a "vampire" or a proper "thru" (still a
"tap"; but better quality).

> > better if properly installed; but "vampire taps" were too common and a
> > disaster...
>
> Yeah, but those lousy/flimsy/rediculous tabs that were supposed to hold the
> really nifty super-stiff AUI cables onto the connector were a joke...
> Either they worked too well (you could not get them to release) or barely
> at all, with most of them tending toward the barely work side.

Amen!  and how about the extra [hidden] "repeater count" (lost preamble bits)
when connecting to the net port of an AUI hub...  :^P  -- I know...  OT.  :>

> > > I used 10base2 for a little while ... hack slash...
> >
> > Termination errors, flaky BNC pins, and kinked/broken braid are the common
> > causes.
>
> Or mice eating the wires (well, ok, not too common except at a friend's
> installation), or too long a wire...
>
> Anyway, in an attempt to get this back to some semblance of On-Topic :-)
>
> I just noticed that the subject said 3c509-b.  I think I've used one with
> linux before - may even have one now.  And I'm sorry, I don't remember how
> to tell it which media to use.
>
> So, I did a search.  Here's a few hits:
>
> http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-3c509-bug/2001-Feb/0000.html - he cannot get
>anything but AUI
>
> This one holds the key:
>
> http://lists.gnac.net/firewalls/mhonarc/firewalls.199602/msg00520.html

> set interrupt, io addr, etc, and then choose interface explicitly.
> save, exit, reboot.
>
> The above is my understanding of the steps, YMMV.

Also my understanding as I have one too.  It's relegated to sniffing only as
needed these days. Hope I don't have to change it 'cuz I'd be hard pressed to
find a DOS diskette.

I wonder if DOSEMU could help...?

Cheers,
Pierre