To kick out of the login banner, you should be able to hit the "Restart
X Session" button on KDM. That will usually toss you out from a remote X
session.

If you're coming in from a VC on another Linux box, or from the console
of another *nix box, it may be a little different. I usually tell people
to use:

X -once -query <hostname>

The -once will only allow a single session, so when you "reset X", it
tosses you back.

Hope that helps.

Ric