Felix Miata wrote:

> Ian Cottrell wrote:

> > /etc/ppp/options (if it's there) and post that too.
>
> The only thing in it is the work "lock".

Then you have to manually establish the link.  If you want to use
dial-on-demand, here's a starting point...

Here's mine from when I used to run ppp...

/etc/ppp/options:
lock            #ensure exclusive access to the device
defaultroute    #use the peer as the gateway
#mtu 300
#mru 300
modem           #Use the modem control lines (default)
/dev/ttyS0      #
115200          #speed
crtscts         #hardware  flow  control
passive         #LCP option
asyncmap 0      #map of LCP chars to escape
demand          #Initiate the link only on demand
#:192.168.255.254       #use if remote fails to tell us its IP address
###Note!!! not sure if this was for debugging sessions (ISP had router problems)
207.144.175.61:206.74.14.59
ipcp-accept-remote      #accept the peer's idea of its (remote) IP address
ipcp-accept-local       #accept the peer's idea of  our  local  IP  address
idle 1800       #disconnect after N seconds of idle
debug           #
#kdebug 7        # 0|7 additional debugging (output into syslog & messages)
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/ppp.chatscript"

and the chatscript...
/etc/ppp/ppp.chatscript:
TIMEOUT 10
ABORT ERROR