Rusty Carruth wrote:

> "jose orlando t. ribeiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Well,

> > I've tried to change the cables but I had no succes... linux wouldn't
> > boot, failing with that message:
> >
> > ========== begin error message =========================
> >
> > VFS Can not open root device "341" or 03:41
> > Please append a correct "root" boot option
> >
> > ============ end error message =========================
> >

> > I tried then use a floppy drive for booting and passing the parameter
> > "linux= boot /dev/hdc" and I've had the same error message again.
>
> That's "linux root=/dev/hdc"

That´s it! I typed from memory... :-) but I wrote the correct command...

> > So I returned the old configuration and I'm looking for some help now...
> > I think that the main consideration is: how the links that I use in X
> > and in the command line will work after this? A link is a reference to a
> > file or to a device and a file??? How I change references about
> > /dev/cdrom? CD players and burners and file system will fail to find
> > it... what files/configs I have to change? I'm using Reiser FS, by the way.
>
> Well, I cannot comment on how reiser will change things, but the big
> things you'll need to change are /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> Because once you get past the boot command above you're going to hang up on
> fstab referencing the wrong partitions.
>
> One way to make this work is somewhat involved:
>
> power off (obvious, but hey ;-)
> remove the cdrom and install any old ide drive as hdc. (you COULD simply move the
>cdrom to
>         where its going to end up, but that adds one more change that I wanted to
>avoid)
> boot up - everything SHOULD still work.

It doesn´t work... I tried to boot without the CD-ROM, but it hanged the same
way... after the error message (...Please append a correct "root" boot
option...) the machine hangs up... I was thinking about changing the fstab
BEFORE changing the drives... but I fear that I can end with a system that
doesn´t boot anyway...

I´ll study more about your solution... but what I know is that my only spare
drive is a small 600MB...

Thanks for your help!!!

orlando

--