"Vincent A. Primavera" wrote:

> Hello,
>         I understand that it is possible to run Wine without having Windows
> installed previously...  Has anyone done this?  And if so, how is it working
> out?  With which applications?
>
>         Thank you,
>         Vincent A. Primavera

If you mean without having a full blown windows install online you are
correct. If you mean without any part of windows, that is problematic.

You do not necessarily need a full windows install to run windows apps
under wine but you usually will need some of the windows dll's to get
most apps to work. We use wine to run a database server for some library
software most of the schools in the district use. The database server
(FAIRCOM) is designed to run as a NT service but will also run quite
happily in the foreground under wine on a linux server but we had to
have something like 8 or 10 of the windows dll's to make it work. I have
had similar experiences with the other apps I've tried (although that is
only a couple of packages).

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo