Alright, I'm sititng here trying to get everythign to play nice, but
finding problems left and right

Here are the two key problems I've got now,  any help would be
appreciated;

1.  The Matrox drivers for the G450 Dual Head card (running in single head
mode right now) aren't working properly.  Everytime I try to exist from x,
or change to a different tty, I get a black screen and a message from teh
monitor that the scan fredquency is out of range.  How do I stop this...
While most of what I do will be in console, I'm using this to replace my
windows machine as well so I need both, without rebooting...

2.  Every tiem I try to access a disc in either the IDE CD-ROM drive or
the SCSI CD-R/RW drive I get a kernel panic, cannot mount read/write
filesystem.  I can't live with that at all.  Most of the data I need to
replace on this machine is on CD-R discs now.

Any help with these two problems would be much appreciated.  The IDE
CD-ROM drive is actually a Pioneer DVD-ROM 114 drive and the CD-R/RW drive
is a SCSI Sony CRX140S.  I am using correct SCSI termination on that
drive.

Thanks

Current Linux kernel 2.4.3-20mdk uptime: 14 days 18 hours 48 minutes.