On Saturday 16 June 2001 07:23, Jesper Holmberg wrote:
> Below follow three problems I've had since I installed Mdk8.
> Sorry to post them all in the same message, but I don't know
> whether or not they are related.
>
> What I did during the installation was to change (all
> partitions but one) to ReiserFS. But I did no repartitioning,
> just changed the FS from Ext2.
>
> 1. The harddrive is very slow, compared to before. A rough
> estimate is 3-5 times slower when reading from disk. This is
> also true on fairly small files, which I expected to benefit
> from using ReiserFS.
>
> 2. Using hdparm on the drive has no perceptible change
> whatsoever. I have fiddled with all the ususal settings to
> improve my disappointing performance, but with no effect.
> Doesn't hdparm work with Reiserfs?
>
> 3. The size of one of the partitions is incorrectly estimated
> by df. df says this:
>      used:
> /dev/hda6             126M   80M   46M  64% /home
>
> but du -sh /home says this: 52M /home
>
> There seems to be about 30M missing, and this has been th case
> since installing.
>
> Could someone help me shed some light on these issues?
>
> TIA
>
> Jesper
>
> p.s. Here follows my /etc/fstab, if useful:
>
> /dev/hda8 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
> /dev/hda5 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /dev/hda6 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat
> user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 none
> /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

Well, this is what I've done:

Installed MD 7.2 with Reiser (with my motherboaard, Soltek SL-75DRV, the MD 8.0
with ext2 the XWindows simply don't start after install).
With 7.2 everything works really fine. Upgrate to 8.0 and use old kernel.
Here you have MD 8.0, Reiser, and UDMA.

(cdrecord do not work with old kernels)

Fedneg