I just recently got this message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated and
I'll pass it on.

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's my problem. I have an 8593 Pro-Star laptop (www.pro-star.com) and
have installed Mandarake 8.0 on it. The installation went great and for a
few devices, everything was recognized and configured. Nonetheless,
everytime I log out of KDE, the X server freezes and I am forced to
reboot. I am presently running X 4.03 server and the video card on my
laptop is the ATI Rage Mobility 128. I have read through books,
newsgroups, help sites, how-tos for the past few weeks and have not
managed to solve this problem. I have tried different configurations, even
using an older X server. Strange thing is that the display quality is
superb, it just freezes every time I log out.

I am aware that the latest version of X is 4.1 and have downloaded the
RPM's for it, but after installing them through the software manager, I
have had no way to try them. None of the configuration utilities provide
an option to selec the new server (XFDrake, Xconfigurator, etc)

I have had very few problems with Linux on the desktop, which I have been
running on a dual-boot configuration for over a year, but the laptop
installation has given me so many problems that I am at my wit's end.
Thanks again. I hope the nature of my problem is clear. It's a bit late:)

Many thanks and take care,

Gonzalo Porcel

Adjunct Professor of International Relations
University of Miami