From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 11:42 AM
To: Ron Johnson; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] CD Writing and the Via 686b southbridge

Why would using PIO transfers make it impossible to burn CD's?  A little
while back I used to burn CD's on an old Pentium 133MHz only capable of
PIO mode 4 on all drives including the burner and it still did 8x
burning without buffer under runs.  The only time that I got buffer
under runs was when I did something that caused heavy disk access for
more than a couple of seconds (like loading netscape).  Sure UDMA is
better, but is it essential? (I have never had a buffer under run on my
current Linux box using UDMA even when the system is being hammered by
several processes.)