>In 7.1, when I do:
>
>       rpm -q cdrecord*
>
>output is:
>
>       package cdrecord* is not installed
What this does, is take 'cdrecord*' as the argument to the query for rpm.
Therefore, it looks in the rpm database to find that, in fact, the package
'cdrecord*' isn't installed.

>But when I do:
>
>       rpm -qa | grep cdrecord
>
>output is:
>
>       cdrecord-1.8.1-2mdk
>       cdrecord-cdda2wav-1.8.1-2mdk
This, in fact, is a query of all packages, which is being searched for all
instances of cdrecord.  Hence the multi-line output.

>What's wrong with the first syntax?

The syntax to check if a single package is installed, is rpm -q
<packagename>.  Therefore, rpm did a query looking for a single package
named 'cdrecord*' and did not find it.  The only way, in my experience, to
locate multiple packages with a specific set of characters in them is the
rpm -qa | grep <packagename> format.  Do a man rpm, and it will explain
most of this--or for that matter, take a look at the rpm HowTO on
linuxdoc.org.

>What is the cdda2wav package?

If I remember correctly, it has something to do with converting songs in cd
audio format (cdda) to wavs (not 100% sure, since I don't have it installed).

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978