>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 8/14/01, 11:48:01 PM, civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
regarding Re: [expert] Cups Remote Printing - Does It Even Work?:

> On Tuesday 14 August 2001 19:35, Sevatio wrote:
> > Okay, I'm willing to put more time into this seemingly hopeless cause of
> > getting Cups to work for remote printing.  This involves four machines
> > running LM8.0.  So far, I've tried Cups versions 1.1.6, 1.1.7-1.1, &
> > 1.1.9-5.  I can get local printing to work and I can get remote printers
> > to show up on Kups.  But print jobs just can't get through to the remote
> > printers.
> >
> > At this point, I just need to know one thing:
> >
> > Have any of you been able to get Cups to print on remote printers?  If
> > so, what version Cupsd are you using?  Also, what particular application
> > did you use to setup your remote & local printers?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Sevatio

> Only two things could be blocking you from what you describe.

> I. the servers are configured not to allow the clients to access them
> 2. the servers are not notifying the clients of their hostnames in the
broadcasts on
> port 631.

> You obviously do not have a firewall blocking port 631 or then your
printers would not work
> locally.

> We print remotely here at mandrakesoft all the time with ALL of those
cups versions and daemons.

> One printer, a HP4050, is attached to server shadow and called printer6.
Since shadow likes
> to sleep a lot, I defined a queue on my machine which connects to that
printer and calls it
> printer679, and another fellow made a queue which calls it printer6x.
Any user can print to
> any one of those three printers and have it come out on that LaserJet on
the Engineering floor.

> Civileme

> lpadmin, kups, qtcups were all used to setup the queues.  xpp is used as
the target for the print
> command.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know that this is possible.

1.) How are "you" configuring the servers to allow client access?  Are
you editing the config files or are you using Kupsdconf?

2.) You said that it's possible that "the servers are not notifying the
clients of their hostnames in the broadcasts on port 631".  -- Is this
referred to as "polling" another server?

Thanks,
Sevatio

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com