I am not civilme, and I haven't put alot of effort into the investigation,
but this does not appear to be "not doing anything".  If I had to guess I
would say it is monitoring something, it has stdout and stderr pointing to
.xsession-errors, and has a bunch of pipes open.  Has anybody considered
porting truss to linux ;-)

mg