This is an odd problem. The on-site docs seem to be less than useful. (Too
much time spent with remedial firewall instruction and too little telling
where the damn config scripts live.)

Note: This is at a friend's house that is about 45 miles away. Not easy to
get to, so some details may be from memory.

there are two machines.  Both have ethernet cards. (Tulip driver.)  One has a
modem.  The dial-out script works fine.

Using the "connection sharing" setup to connect out.  (Probably my first
mistake.)

I changed the Bastille firewall to view the second machine as "trusted".

The second machine cannot route to the first UNTIL the gateway box initiates
a connection to the second machine.

If I ping from the second machine to the gateway, I get "no route to host"
messages.

If I ping from the gateway to the second machine, i get LONG pauses and
absurdly slow ping times until things "wake up" and pings speed up.

After this, routing works, but everything is slow with much dropped packets.

Here are my questions:

In the standard install of Mandrake 8.0 (power pack disc set), which firewall
setup takes precidence and where is it configured?

Why am i unable to route to the gateway box and how do I fix it? (Route
tables look fine.  This looks like a firewall issue.)

Why are pings being occasionally dropped?  (I have seen this once before with
IPChains on another server. I did not have the time to investigate when it
was noticed.)

Ideas? Suggestions? Remedies?

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com