On 28-Aug-2001 Leif Madsen wrote:
> I'm hoping I can figure this out with software as I am a poor student going
> to school and can't afford a PCMCIA network card :)
>
> There's got to be SOME way... I would think...?
>
> On Wednesday 29 August 2001 18:09, you wrote:
>> I know on my windows 2000 machine, I hade two Ethernet cards, one for
>> home, and one for the road, and when they were set-up, my network
>> settings would automagically change depending on which card was
>> inserted.  Probably won't work that easy if you have an internal
>> card, for this I think you could use a single PCMCIA card and have
>> two different hardware profiles to choose at boot time.
When want a pure software solution you can try to make your home network look
like your school net.
First of all: is your school configuration with static ip-adresses or with dhcp
/ dynamic adresses and DNS entries.

if its completely dynamic (all settings are dynamic including dns): Set up a
dhcp server on your linux box and it should work.

If not this should work:
If your school uses private IP Adresses (192.168.*, 10.*, ...) use the same
one for your home network. Give the linux machine the address of the school's
dns server.

Gregor

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30-Aug-2001
Time: 08:54:40