> Now I know: I must wait at least one minute before using the "reset" button
> :-)

Yes - the box may not be hung, it may just be very busy trying to find
memory. I recall an interesting 'horror' story several years ago that
a friend and fellow Linux user related to me. He (at the time) was running
an older (version of Linux) on a 386 machine with only 4 megs of memory and
had not set up any swap space. Well, obviously, that's not a good thing to
do. But anyway, he fired up Emacs one time, did some stuff with it, and
then did a ctrl-x ctrl-c to exit. Once he did that, the system began to
act as if it were completely locked up. But he was patient, and waited, and
even timed it. 46 *minutes* later, he got his shell prompt back. And this
(since he was without swap space) was not a disk intensive thing at all -
just the kernel memory management routines trying to juggle stuff really
(relatively) fast for a long time.