Hi all,

yesterday I tried to compile kernel-2.4.8-11mdk with
absolutely no success.

I also use a self compiled kernel. After downloading the
kernel-source-2.4.8-11mdk and kernel-headers I did a
make mrproper, then I copied my previous .config (from the stock 2.4.3 kernel,
that came with 8.0) added one option (network card rtl8139) and tryed to
compile the kernel.
I got an error message concerning the symSOMETHING scsi controller.
I tried changing options, adding this, removing that, changed between compiling
several options as modules / into the kernel.
Then I tried to use kgcc instead of gcc in the Top Level Makefile.
But I always got error message (at different points) but I wasn't able to get
the kernel to compile.
I also tried a make oldconfig and change it and again no success in compiling.

After some hours of reconfiguring and trying to compile I got pissed off,
downloaded a pure 2.4.9 kernel from kernel.org copied my 2.4.3 .config file,
added the desired option (rtl8139) and it worked on the first compile run.

I had the same problems some time ago when I tried to compile the original
2.4.3 kernel from LM8.0 - but I somehow managed to compile it.

So my question is: what fancy patches are applied to Mandrake kernels?? Why all
these problems when compiling mdk kernels while pure kernels from kernel.org
work as expected. I know that the mdk kernel is patches in order to get some
additional features, but I think there's some lack of proper testing with
different configurations - especially with slimmed down kernels such as mine.

I like LM very much but I think they should do something against this problem.

I came to the conclusion, that I'm not going to use just pure kernels from
kernel.org and apply the patches myselft if I really need them. I regret not
being able to use the cooker kernels but until this problems are solved I'm not
wasting my time again trying to get the kernel compiled.

So what does the list think about this. Am I missing some important point??

Gregor

E-Mail: Gregor Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03-Sep-2001
Time: 11:09:46