On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:12 -0400, Laurent Duperval wrote:
> On 14 Aug, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> >
> > A similar thing happened when I used to work with tkpppoe, a front end
> > for pppoe for my DSL connention. This tkpppoe works with wish and when I
> > saw xosview showing memory useage of more than 400M (ram + swap) I looked
> > at top and top showed wish using more than 260M of memory. As soon as I
> > exited tkpppoe those 260M were immediately released. How come wish is
> > taking so much memory?
> >
> > wobo
>
> Wish (and Tcl in general) does not release memory to the OS. Instead, when
> memory is released, it is maintianed in a pool to be reused by the
> application. Most likely, the Tcl (wish) script you are using is using up a
> lot of memory and never releasing it. One example is setting a new variable
> or an array and never unsetting it after it is no longer needed. You have to
> look at the code for tkpppoe to see where that happens.

You can see it in the 'top' list. Starting tkpppoe it's listed with

 PID USER   PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM  TIME COMMAND

 23664 wobo   9   0  2712 2712  1868 S     0,0  1,0  0:00 wish

After running some time I have it like this:

 PID USER   PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM  TIME COMMAND

 22982 wobo  15   0 40416  39M  1924 S     1,1 16,3  4:53 wish

You can even watch it consuming memory when you look at 'top' running for
a minute.

As I'm not too good in scripting and/or coding I just close it now and
then and open it again.

wobo
--
"... and anyway, an html can't carry a virus." (Aug 2001, Usenet)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     ICQ: #128612867      GPG-ID: A69882EE