"John J. LeMay Jr." wrote:

> Last week I was trying to troubleshoot and fix a problem where my LM8f1 machine
> would not allow my LM72 client to rsh/ssh to the machine as ROOT. Other users
> could gain access with no problem. My thanks to all why offered suggestions.
> However, the only way I've found to enable rsh for root was to delete
> /etc/securetty. Note I had tried adding rsh, rlogin, and rexec to the end of
> /etc/securetty (one per line), but this did not help. After finding that
> deleting /etc/securetty fixed the problem, I tried creating a new securetty file
> in /etc containing the following entries:
>
> tty1
> tty2
> tty3
> tty4
> tty5
> tty6
> rsh
> rlogin
> rexec
>
> This did not work either. Again, root was denied permission to rsh to the
> machine. Note that rlogin has always worked for root regardless of the status of
> this file. All other users - so long as they have a .rhosts file - can access
> the 80f1 machine with rsh.

Hello John,

Thanks for the quick-fix, my other tape drive had died and it has been a
couple of months before I got a replacement.  In the meantime, I tore
the workstation down, upgraded hardware and then install a clean copy of
Mandrake 8.  Now I am beginning to wonder about the wisdom in the
upgrade, LM7.2 didn't exhibit this odd behaviour!

I got the new tape drive in yesterday and I desperately needed to backup
the server!!!  That is when I encountered the same problem as you with
rsh.  IIRC, one of the distros required the ttyPn (or was it ttypn)
entries in /etc/securetty before any root logins were allowed via
ethernet.  The same appears to be true for LM80, adding "pts/0" &
"pts/1" to the /etc/securetty allows root logins via telnet, but it
still stops the rsh from working.

I suspect that there is some other subsystem that is stopping rsh from
gaining access.  It seems that the only way to resolve this issue is to
get the rsh sources and start putting some printf's into it to see where
rsh is dying?!!

Meanwhile, thanks for the "work around", my badly needed backup is
running smoothly now (one the workstation, fortunately, it is not
accessable via the 'net =-O ).

Regards,

TomW