bascule wrote:

>thanks jipe,
>still reading up on echo to try and understand your line:
>IFS=$(echo -e "\n\r\t")
>
>the '-q O' is in fact a '-q 0', perhaps your font makes them look similar?
>
>On Saturday 15 September 2001 2:25 am, you wrote:
>
>>but r u sure about -q O? the version i run doesn't accept
>>them....(lame-3.22b-1)
>>

>bascule

in that case, by setting this environmental variable, i allow the script
to use filenames with spaces or other characters. especially when
reading the ouput  of ls *.wav. try it with or without this line and
you'll  see the difference.
better than all explanations that i could give to you (with my
approximative english!), look at this url for more explanations about
bash scripting in general and IFS in particular:
www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/abs/html/

this kind of script runs fine for me, and can be used in other ways
(with adaptations), like mp3->wav conversion, or integrated in another
script,for exemple to burn a cdaudio directly from mp3 files.... etc etc

bye
jipe