> rm -rf /dir works just as well and saves a keystroke. However, this is
> really a bad habit to get into. I've been doing this for years and I've
> hosed machines as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

I recently hosed a machine (on purpose actually) with the following

chmod -Rf -x /

the best part is -- everthing is still there, you just can't do anything
with it.

--
Alex

Steve Balmer, CEO of Microsoft, recently referred to LINUX as a cancer.
Unsurprisingly, that's incorrect; LINUX was released on August 25th,
1991 and is therefore a Virgo.