From: Franki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 October 2001 16:27
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] C++ for newbies...

Hi all,

I want to start playing with C++, I have written a good many perl scripts
and I think its time to tackle a compiled language, something to cater to
speed requirements...

I arrived at C++ or JAVA, so I rushed out and got books on both,, Java in a
Nutshell, and Sams Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours...

Now I actually find the C++ book easier to read, (after the camel book, its
positively easy to read.)

So I have decided to start with C++...

now I have a few questions and I am hoping someone here could perhaps help
me out here....

1. I just tried the hello world app on in the sames book out of curiosity
and it told me that it couldn't find the include iostream.h  now my linux
box was installed as a dev install and I basically installed anything that
didn't conflict...

There is no file called iosteam.h on that box, so I am assuming that its
part of a windows package????

Does anyone have any recommendations for a windows and a linux compiler? I
used g++ to try and compile hello world, what other choises do I have and
what reasons would I choose one over the other...

Ditto for the windows enviroment if anyone here has anything to do with
it... (I just want to learn I don't care about the windows/linux/macos/etc
etc... its just about me learning this..)

I have actually found that book to be quiet readable, so if you are looking
for a book on C++ you could do worse...

its somethign of a shock to step out of nice sedate perl into c++, which is
annoying because I want to learn c and Java immediatly afterwards, then ASP
and some get better at PHP, I have alot of learning ahead of me...

up till now, VB and perl were the only two languages (apart from html and
Javascript) that I had any decent knowledge in...

I think I should have started with C++ it would have been harder, but I
would have found perl alot easier at first...
not that it was all that hard anyway,, but c++ and java have more in common
when either of them do with perl.,... and compiling and linking is all very
new....

Any help would be most appreciative...

rgds

Frank