-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of David Guntner
Sent: Wednesday, 3 October 2001 8:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] Best FS to use for / ?

Judging from the review I read from Tom in the Mandrake Forum, it looks
like ReiserFS is the best one to use for my needs (looks like it offers the
best speed and lowest CPU utilization over-all, unless I'm completely
missing something).  I always mount a seperate /boot partition as the first
filesystem, and I've used ext2 even with everything else set to a different
type of FS.  It just works better for me since I couldn't seem to get 8.0
to boot with a /boot that was ReiserFS.

Now, I'm getting ready to do a clean install of 8.1 and will be
reformatting all partitions exept for /home.  I'm planning on using ext3
for /boot (since if I read it right, it's completely backwards compatable
with ext2 and shouldn't give me any booting grief).  Now for the big
question:  Should the / filesystem be something like ext3 also, or is there
any downside to using ReiserFS for / as well (it's my second partition on
the disk)?  I'm asking because I could have sworn at one point that I read
something saying that for performance (or other) reasons, the / partition
would be better off being set as something non-ReiserFS.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Experiences?

                --Dave

--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!