I bought a U.S. Robotics 56K FaxModem model 5610.  It uses the PCI bus, but
it is not a WinModem.  The modem works fine with Redhat 7.1, but when I
installed Mandrake 8.1 the HardDrake software detected the modem at
configuration time and exited because it claimed the modem was a WinModem.  I
found a brief reference in a ChangeLog that stated that all PCI modems are
WinModems.  This is not true.  The PCI card I bought has an onboard processor
and it works just fine with RedHat.  The HardDrake detection software is
broken.  I've submited a bug report.

Unfortunately registering the bug doesn't solve my immediate problem.  I have
to boot to Redhat to connect to the Internet to read mail.  I'd like to fix
Mandrake 8.1 so I can do so without a reboot.  Anyone have a suggestion on a
command that I can use to configure the modem to work?