Dear Stephen,

Try to use ext2 file system for /boot and allocation about 30M to it (on
separate partition).
Then rest root partition (can use reiserfs,...).
Mount point of /boot partition is /boot and root partition is /

Before re-install, during partitioning, delete the partitions first(not your
data or windows ones).

Regards,
Leo Hon