A fix, of sorts!  It appears that realplayer screws up the shockwave flash
setup.  I had two x-shockwave application entries, one for the netscape
plugin and one associated with realplayer.  The former was straight
x-shockwave-flash while the realplayer was x-shockwave-flash2.  Both have the
same swf file extension.

The former is associated with embedded nsplugin viewer, the latter
with...nothing.  I tried to associate both with the internal netscape plugin
viewer but this caused the creation of a third x-shockwave entry, basically a
copy of the original realplayer entry.  Deleting these extras made the link
work - though after I selected konqueror web browser from the popup
application window.

Realplayer messes up SOME shockwave flash associations.  The test "All your
base are belong to us" flash movie on the tutorial page works as it
should...regardless of realplayer.