MTU size problems will often result in this.

If the MTU size is not correct, Linux (or any other OS) will never see
the very last bytes of the download, and as a result not close the file
properly. In turn under Linux you will get a file that ends up short in
actual size.

In windows the same thing gives you a zero length file, even though it
seems you downloaded the whole thing...

You might want to research the PPP settings paying particular attention
to MTU

"ifconfig" will report your current settings...

-JMS