Hi all,
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook 656Tx and I've been trying to install LM8.1 in it.
I do all the standard procedures (I've installed Linux on this laptop at
least five or six times) and I choose the right video card (Neomagic MagicGraph
128ZV) and TFT (800x600). This always worked in LM7.2 and LM8.0 but now it
just won't work in the new release, no matter what I try. I don't get the
X-server trying to start, nothing, all it gives me is the text console. I tried
different resolutions, different depths and also checked the /var/log/Xfree***
file but there isn't any log file corresponding to X. The CDs I downloaded
should be OK (I installed a desktop with the same CDs). The weirdest thing is:
if I log in console and do a startx, it works perfectly!!! Did I find an
installtion bug? I looked all over mailing lists but it seems no one is having
the same problem. I tried installing LM7.2 (I don't have 8.0 anymore) and the
graphical login worked again, so it's not the laptop cdrom, or screen. I also
checked initscript and it's runlevel 5. Does anyone know what I could do to
check what's wrong? Where are the scripts for starting the login screen in
Mandrake? Any help is welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Marcio Cordero

http://www.gmx.net