|-----Original Message-----

Does this board use the Winbond chip?

According to the kernel stuff (which is where I got all of this,
actually READING the timer.* source...) this problem only applies to
Winbond timer chips. If you don't have one, you don't have this
particular problem.

|OTOH, LM8.0 & LM8.1 uses a combination of the PC's hardware
|clock & its
|system clock.  The system clock's time can drift away from the
|hardware
|clock's time by over an hour per day.  The problem is further
|exacerbated
|when the shutdown process instructs the hardware clock to set
|its time to the
|screwed-up systemclock.

In my two machines affected by the bug, just the opposite occurs.
Setting the hardware clock to the system clock fixes things.

The client machines adjust their time to a master, which in turn adjusts
it's time via NTP to the standard. So when a shutdown occurs the
hardware clock gets set to the correct time.

|Normally "adjtimex" can be used to adjust the drift rate of
|the system clock,
|LM8.0 & LM8.1's drift rate fluctuates wildly rendering
|adjtimex useless.

This is hard for me to judge since my systems set themselves so often...

|Since Wind98 and LM7.2 (pre 2.4 era) did not have this
|problem, I must say
|that this timer issue is not OS independent and is related to
|LM8.0 & LM8.1
|and perhaps any distro out there that uses the 2.4 kernel.

It could be, but I don't know. I guess I could turn off NTP updates and
find out...