> From: Tom Badran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2001/10/27 Sat AM 11:28:06 EDT
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [expert] something very weid with 8.1

> On Saturday 27 Oct 2001 4:13 pm, you wrote:
> > HI list,
> >
> > After many painful attempts at getting Mandrake 8.1 to
install on my old
> > AMD system at home, the strangest thing i've ever seen
has happened. No
> > matter what i do, and mean that literally, cause i
think i've tried
> > everything i can think of, i can not log into the
mailserver and get my
> > mail. that would be the mail server "on" the machine
itself and not the one
> > at my ISP. I've been doing mail like this ever since i
started using Linux.
> > i just like it that way.
> >
> > anyhow, this one has really got me stumped. And to
make matter worse it
> > lost my CD-RW drive and i can't remember just how to
go about setting that
> > back up so i can use it. otherwise i would just
reinstall the imap package
> > to get the mail going again.
> >
> > the consistant error i'm getting back when i attempt
to get my mail from
> > the system mailserver is an authentication error. and
yes, i checked to
> > make sure it was running. as far as i could tell it
was. things like this
> > are quite a bit different then they were/are in
Mandrake 7.2 so it's going
> > to take a bit of time for me to get used to where
they've put everything.

> > as always, any and all suggestions and or flames are
graciously accepted.

> Probably not what you wanted to hear, but i couldnt get
imap to work in 8.0,
> and havent tried since. Im suprised you lost your cd-rw
as mandrake is very
> good at auto detecting these. Have you loaded to
ide-scsi module? And you can
> just collect your mail locally from
/var/spool/mail/username , and i think
> thats the only place pine/mutt/mail look. And is also
easy to setup in kmail

Hi Tom,

Thats the really weird thing about it all - as far as the
mail is concerned. It "had" been working. I've only had
8.1 setup and running on the machine for a few days. It
had been working beautifully. In fact, I had imap AND pop3
accounts working using Sylpheed that were being accessed
on my machine. None of the mail clients on my machine can
connect to the mailserver and get the mail. i know "where"
it is, just can't get from there here. know what i mean?

As for the CD-RW thats the only CDROM device on the
machine and that what i loaded the system with. then, last
night when i realized "what" was actually wrong with the
mail server - imapd either is broken or won't stay running
- i slammed CD1 into the drive and promptly told that that
device wasn't recognized by the system.

I guess at this point I should mention that the version of
Mandrake is 8.1beta3. Still, it is all very perplexing.
while I would very much rather NOT go back to 7.2 simply
because i want to be able to run glibc-2.2.x i'm going to
try and load the final release of 8.1 onto the system.
i've got that one running here at work and so far it seems
to be ok.

Still...what in the world happened to cause this?

Mark