-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 27 October 2001 11:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] something very weid with 8.1

HI list,

After many painful attempts at getting Mandrake 8.1 to install on my old AMD
system at home, the strangest thing i've ever seen has happened. No matter
what i do, and mean that literally, cause i think i've tried everything i
can think of, i can not log into the mailserver and get my mail. that would
be the mail server "on" the machine itself and not the one at my ISP. I've
been doing mail like this ever since i started using Linux. i just like it
that way.

anyhow, this one has really got me stumped. And to make matter worse it lost
my CD-RW drive and i can't remember just how to go about setting that back
up so i can use it. otherwise i would just reinstall the imap package to get
the mail going again.

the consistant error i'm getting back when i attempt to get my mail from the
system mailserver is an authentication error. and yes, i checked to make
sure it was running. as far as i could tell it was. things like this are
quite a bit different then they were/are in Mandrake 7.2 so it's going to
take a bit of time for me to get used to where they've put everything.

as always, any and all suggestions and or flames are graciously accepted.

thanks,

Mark