Actually it quite often does fail.  I installed with a serial mouse and
then changed to a usb mouse when the system went into use.  It was a
couple of frustrated reboots before the hardware realised that the
serial mouse had gone and removed it and then on the next boot it found
the usb mouse.  Could run harddrake/kudzu any number of times manually
and it would find the usb mouse, but not do anything about it.  Another
possibility is changing a serial mouse for a modem on the same comport -
the hardware detection does not realise the device has changed, so
status quo.  It would be handy if the hardware detection allowed you to
manually tell it something had changed, but this does not seem to be
available.  Laptops are another whole can of worms when changing
location/hardware configuration.

BillK