this isn't really a solution to compiling the kernel but more just a
question about a different alternative.

why not just rpm the kernel?  the latest, greatest kenel for mandrake
can be aquired at
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=kernel.  i used to
compile my own kernel for the same reason ... there were modules i
wanted that required me to compile the kernel.  the result was always a
to fight to get everything working correctly.  once i found mandrake, i
found that they compiled the kernel in a very modular fasion and with
every module i could possible want or need.  all i have to do is load
the module.

i mean, we trust mandrake ... right?  i personally would not presume to
believe i could build a better, more efficient or secure kernel than
they can.  this is their job ... they are banking their entire
livelyhood on this.  if they screw me, there are plent of other distro's
willing to pick up my support and i believe they know it.  additionally,
mandrake takes linux and creates a distro that functions in a certain
way based around linux ... which is basically the kernel and it's
modules.

what's wrong with rpm'ing the latest, greatest kernel and it's modules
and leaving the system the way they designed it?
--
quintin holmberg