It's more likely that M$ altered samba on XP (again) and you will have to
wait for the SAMBA crew to reverse engineer a fix.  Alternatively, but I am
not sure personally, but if you installed/have the "home" variant of the XP
virus, I believe it is crippled in many (network and server) ways and your
problem may relate to the crippleware version of XP for Home.