Eh, I'm not having ANY trouble with Samba vis-a-vis XP.

Note: XP does not seem to be able to perform Domain Logins, into a Linux
Samba server, but if XP is set to use "Workgroup" mode, it works fine.

It also does require encrypted passwords which may be complicating
matters...

But I'm regularly moving multiple gigs back and forth to Samba servers
from within XP Pro.

I've had to let XP attach via Workgroup mode and let my other Winboxen
connect via domain mode to the same Samba server(s).

-JMS