I've read sometime ago about the @home setup that gives a computer
name and the changes needed in Linux to accept that config. Since I live
in Brazil I hadn't that message archived, but you can find it in the web
archives.

About your friend setup: is possible to enable a network to use the same
link. Set the first machine with the needed setup to work with at home.
That same machine should be configured as a proxy for the network, so it
should have two network cards, one with the ip address for @home, the
other with an address for the house network.

The other machines will use the first machine as a gateway.

HTH

orlando