Here we go again!  Just rebooted and tried to burn a CD.  It failed - even
though I am using supermount, it failed to mount the CDROM so it failed. I
then tried again AFTER mounting the CD that I wanted to copy.  No worky.  The
CDRW has a constant, blinking activity light and it is now impossible to
remove the blank without rebooting.  Upon trying to burn it again after
mounting the CD with the image I wanted to burn, I get this message (in
gcombust):

 Cdrecord 1.10 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'TEAC    '
Identifikation : 'CD-W54E         '
Revision       : '1.1A'
Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder
found on this target.

WRONG!  The CDRW did not change magically into a normal CDROM, it is STILL a
CDRW.  Is this the way that linux normally handles CD-RWs?  I have used linux
for several years now and only recently started in with CD-RWs.  This is new
to me but I must say that there is something seriously wrong here in the way
it is treating the drive, and the way it makes it impossible to use or open
the drive after a failure to copy or burn a CD.

I start kpm to see if there is a process associated with the drive that might
explain the neverending blinking activity light but I see nothing obvious -
so I can't kill the damn thing.  I am stuck with having to reboot yet again.

Someone toss me a bone here please.