On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Praedor wrote:

Maybe the problem is not LINUX or cdwriters....

I had this kind of problem with ONE intel board! SE440BX-2.

It has TWO ide and just accept CD-rom or CR-writer as slaves!!!

So now, I have 2 hd's and e cd's de reader and the slave of the primary
and the cd-writes as slave of the secondary!

After this change, it works perfectly!!! But just after that!!!

And many other brands use this chipset! Give it another try!

[]s Ricardo Castanho

ps:you can find these 'details' on intel's site on FAQ!
(developers' site)

>This is driving me mad!  I have a Teac cd-rw set as the slave to my cdrom
>master.  MOST of the time I am unable to burn CDs, I get messages that the
>device isn't scsi or it has the wrong driver but once in a while I am able to
>burn a CD, but then no more.
>>I just burned a CD, for instance, direct CD-to-CDRW.  It worked.  I then
>removed the source CD and the newly burned CD and replaced them with the next
>source CD and blank CD in the burner.  I try to burn this and now, magically,
>I get this error:
>>scsidev: '1,0,0'
>scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
>Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
>/usr/bin/cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder
>found on this target.
>>Bullcrap!  IT IS A BURNER.  The damn activity light is flashing and flashing
>and flashing too and will not stop.  I cannot open the drive and remove the
>blank.  The ONLY way I can get the damn drive to give me the blank CD in it
>and try again to burn onto a new disk is to reboot.  Very windoze.
>>Is there some magic that I am unaware of that is needed to be done on my
>computer to make a CD-RW work all the time rather than once in a blue moon?
>>In lilo, I have:
>append=" hde=ide-scsi devfs=mount quiet"
>>so that scsi emulation is used for the drive and it works once in a while, it
>seems (and the ide-scsi module is loaded).
>>Someone, before I take a frickin' bat to my CDRW, please tell me what is the
>trick to getting CDs to burn in a simple burner?!  I am about to reboot AGAIN
>to get the blank out of it.
>>praedor

- --
Linux user # 102240 => Machine # 96125 => Seti@home user