> I installed real pronto on a P2 35Hz 383MB so the problem's seems be your
> glibc or a faulty download. I'm having a real hard time getting clean

I had the same problem (faulty d/l). I thought something was wrong when
after over 1/2 an hour after typing in the command to start the system, it
was still trying to unpack. I stopped the command and found that my /var
had been eaten up with log messages saying there were attempts to read beyond
end of file etc. Redownloading made a big difference, and the install went
smoothly. It's nice to have DSL :).