Hi,

I have finally solved the riddle of CDROM not working with MDK 8.1 after a
lot of blood and sweat.

The problem lies in the fact that the 2.4.8 kernel defaults to "Enable Multi
Mode by default" and this causes the cdrom driver to malfunction and the
system hangs. The solution was to recompile the kernel without Multi Mode by
default and now I can easily mount the CDROM.

Moral of the story according to me is (a) Intel 810 motherboards pose
challenging problems and (2) Mandrake guys need to be more conservative when
building their rpms and they should leave out a few of the experimental
stuff so that such problems do not arise.

Thanks to all those who responded, maybe someone from Mandrake too will read
this message.

Cheers,
Arnab

is appreciated.