I use OSX at work. (I have a PC running Win2000 and a B&W G3 running OSX 10.1.1)
The OSX is great if you just consider the OS itself. Everything works great, and the
speed is good (it's a lot better on a G4)
When it comes to using applications, especially non-Apple OSX native ones, it starts
to get into a muddle. I have had Mozilla cause plenty of crashes, IE 5 is more stable,
but it also has it's unsavory moments.
The General BSD tools are there. You would feel at home when you go to the Terminal.
The segmentation of prefs to a System Level and a User level is great. Many of the
system prefs are just links to the user prefs. In other words, you can mess up all you
want under your login, but it won't break the system. There are a lot of tools/files
that are not in their "right" location or seem not to me used at all. The password
file does not appear to be what the system uses, but it is still there.

Anyway, many of the config files are in XML.
One main thing lacking in the system is a well defined security (or maybe well
documentd one) I find that I can change the root password even when I am logged on as
an administrator (which is not as powerful as root).

Anyway, for anyone who can, I do recommend it. It is well worth looking at another
implementation of Unix.

George