On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Franki wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> can anyone with a working dialup connection give me the contents of the file
> in the subject?

Unless you are allowing non-root users to establish the link, just delete
that file and use /etc/ppp/options.

I have only one remote user using ppp (non-dedicated phone line); she's
using kppp during the week and uses cron to auto-dial on weekends when
she's out of town and wants to access her home system.  Works like a
charm...

> I have been trying to get it sussed and using one of the tools, (either
> linuxconf or mandrake control center)
> has put some stuff about wvdial in there.

The "tools" are in need of more work IMHO...

To provide more help, it would be useful to know if you have a
dedicated/shared phone line; demand dialing makes ppp somewhat transparent
if you have a dedicated line...

> god I hate pppd in linux,, works sometimes, other times it doesn't
> regardless of what I do...

K.I.S.S.  :^)  though more about your setup/requirements would help.

> Also, on the few occasions that it has worked, if I get disconnected and try
> to redial, it fails,,(the modem doesn't even try to dial again..)

Does this mean you want to redial on link failure?  Won't happen without
'demand' dialing (dedicated phone line), IIRC.

HTH,
Pierre