Hello

I have 2 problems with my socks setup:

I installed runsocks-1.0r11-3.i386.rpm sucessfully i thought. I am using
mandrake linux 8.1

1. I have to be root to use runsocks ssh -l me <host> or I get the
following error

$ runsocks ssh -l myuser myhost.com
ssh: error while loading shared libraries: libsocks5_sh.so: cannot open

$ ls -l /usr/lib/*socks*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       147280 Sep 25  2000
/usr/lib/libsocks5_sh.so*

2. DNS does not seem to work, I get this error from ssh

$ su
# runsocks ssh -l myuser myhost.com
ssh: myhost.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

I checked the faq http://www.socks.nec.com/socksfaq.html#q10 (DNS item)
but could not find any solutions.

This is my /etc/libsocks5.conf please note that I am using a socks4
server

$ cat /etc/libsocks5.conf
socks4 - - - - mysocks4server

i have typed

export SOCKS4_SERVER = my_server

I can connect, its just a pain to have to be root and use the IP
address.

the socks4 server works fine from windows, makes change for windows to
be easyer to use..

I tried setting various variables etc with no avail, i read man
libsocks5.conf and man runsocks.

approach 2 to solving the problem

from here i notice that there is a mention of compiling
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/ssh.1.html

Note that ssh can also be configured to support the
              SOCKS system using  the  --with-socks4  or  --with-
              socks5 compile-time configuration option.

Does the mdk version include this?

I tryed

export SSH_SOCKS_SERVER=socks://juser@socks-server:1080/x.x.x.0/24

and nothing still happend

i rebuilt the source downloaded from
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/falsehope/home/gomez/socks5/
and tried several different versions of the rpms there
still no joy

ok, thank you for any info provided.

Regards

JG

ps i send this to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as he/she was mostly at the
top of the rpm -q openssh --changelog