On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 08:02, you wrote:
> A bud of mine picked up an old
> IBM PC server 500, and unless
> it is not a bios problem, the stupid
> thing keeps asking for a "Reference disc"
> I don't know what it wants exactly,
> I tried formatting a Linux boot disc for it,
> but its too stupid to read it I think,
> or else because the floppy drive is
> 2.88 it cannot read a 1.44 disc.

Now there's a blast from the past!! The bane of my prior existence as a
reseller/integrator - the reference disk! You want to upgrade RAM - insert
the reference disk. Change the ISA/EISA card - insert the reference disk.
Reset the password (user-error) ... insert the %** reference disk!!!.

go to the following URL (and next time, use IBM's search facility to do the
same....)

http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=GCOR-3EMLNR

I'd also recommend that you have a read of the tech specs at this URL:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=DDSE-42XMW4

as it gives some info about RAM, etc...
--
john in syd