Well does anyone have input on hardware based IDE raid cards under Linux
then?  I already mentioned that the performance that I get out of my 3ware
controller isn't all that and I mentioned this along side with my Samba
comment that you all responded to that this was with the same machine using
the 3ware card.  If you want I can post my smb.conf file so you can pick it
apart, but I think the deeper issue are the drivers for the 3ware card.  I
mean if all of my hardware is supposed to be all that (along with the 3ware
BIOS), the kernel and Samba are all that, then that only leaves the 3ware
drivers that are compiled into the stock kernel released with mdk 8.1,
right?  Also, the most troubling problem with the 3ware card that I'm having
right now under mdk 8.1 is multitasking.  If I have one disk intensive task
going like copying a file from one partition to the next or have 2-3 streams
over the network (under Samba, but no blame being implied on it here) and
then another stream for playing an mp3, the mp3 will pause for up to several
seconds at a time at regular intervals.  Also under a moderate load like this
I noticed that the buffers regularly empty while burning a CD at 8x.  Under
mdk 7.2 with one hard drive (the exact same as what I'm using on the 3ware
controller) and a Promise Ultra66 controller I could have many more streams
going demanding more bandwidth and the streams that where time sensitive (mp3
and burning simultaneously) went without a hitch.