Civilme went into this at great length recently.

I'd refer you to his comments about IDE RAID (or rather the lack of any
REAL IDE raid unless you use one of two specific hardware devices to
accomplish this.)

The Promise IDE Raid is an attempt to hoodwink the user...

But lest you flame me... Try searching the Archives.

-JMS