At 12:00 PM 12/16/2001 -0800, David Guntner wrote:

>directory.  When it was done with that, it told me that there was No Java
>Runtime Environment was found which can be used by StarOffice (even though
>I have it installed in /usr/local/java/jre1.3.1_01).  (BTW, if I try
>clicking on the "Browse" button, the installation just quits with an error
>message in the shell window that started it.)  I left it alone for this

Same here. Someone in this list had mentioned that SO 6 installs JAVA with
SO. But, we shouldn't have to upgrade to use JAVA.

>I logged out and then back in to "restart" my KDE session.  I don't see any
>StarOffice stuff on any of my K menu items.

I got the SO stuff on my KDE menu when installing it as a user but not when
installing as root.

>I opened a shell window and typed:
>
>office52/soffice
>
>to start it.  I then go a message telling me that it can't find
>/home/davidg/office52/user/sofficerc - again, even though I can clearly see
>that the file exists.  Argh!

Goes to show that the SO installation script lacks a lot to be desired.
It's "good" to know that I'm not the only one having this trouble.

It seemed like a straightforward install but........

Also, I'm not sure if installing SO caused me to have trouble accessing
SWAT, but, after my SO installation attempts I can no longer get anything
to come up on the browser for the localhost. Instead I get routed out to
the web to the Netscape search engine. I checked the associated files for
SWAT (as shown in man swat) and the appropriate info is in those files. If
it ain't one thing it's another...... :-D