On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:45:07 -0700
Lee Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 12:00 PM 12/16/2001 -0800, David Guntner wrote:
>
> >directory.  When it was done with that, it told me that there was No Java
> >Runtime Environment was found which can be used by StarOffice (even though
> >I have it installed in /usr/local/java/jre1.3.1_01).  (BTW, if I try
> >clicking on the "Browse" button, the installation just quits with an error
> >message in the shell window that started it.)  I left it alone for this
>
> Same here. Someone in this list had mentioned that SO 6 installs JAVA with
> SO. But, we shouldn't have to upgrade to use JAVA.
>
> >I logged out and then back in to "restart" my KDE session.  I don't see any
> >StarOffice stuff on any of my K menu items.
>
> I got the SO stuff on my KDE menu when installing it as a user but not when
> installing as root.
>
> >I opened a shell window and typed:
> >
> >office52/soffice
> >
> >to start it.  I then go a message telling me that it can't find
> >/home/davidg/office52/user/sofficerc - again, even though I can clearly see
> >that the file exists.  Argh!
>
> Goes to show that the SO installation script lacks a lot to be desired.
> It's "good" to know that I'm not the only one having this trouble.
>
> It seemed like a straightforward install but........
>
> Also, I'm not sure if installing SO caused me to have trouble accessing
> SWAT, but, after my SO installation attempts I can no longer get anything
> to come up on the browser for the localhost. Instead I get routed out to
> the web to the Netscape search engine. I checked the associated files for
> SWAT (as shown in man swat) and the appropriate info is in those files. If
> it ain't one thing it's another...... :-D

The blame really does not belong to SO.
In fact there should be no blame.

SO-5.2 is nearly 4 years old.
It was built to use Java 1.18 and the last Mandrake distro that it installed
to in the manner in which it was built was 7.1.

Since that time the directory structures for all compliant Linux distros has
changed.
If you really think about it, it is amazing that it will still even run on
todays linux.

When I used 5.2 I never did a /net install, I always installed as user and
never had any proplem.
For it to find Java it is either necessary to edit a setup file or to be sure
that the Path is properly set.
You can manually create menu etries and/or Icons for all the SO apps.

I currently use either SO 6 or Open Office.
Neither uses the desktop feature, which I hated anyway, and both are built
to the standards of today.

   Charles