On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:50:56 -0500 Harold Hartley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I had the same problem and found my cdrom was wearing out and not reading
>data correctly.
>I installed a new cdrom and it was a perfect install with no errors..
>... maybe you need to get another one..

I wish it was that easy ... I forgot to mention that the computer is brand
new.
The CDs have only been used maybe 6 times.  It is a Aopen 56X IDE/ATAPI
CDROM drive.

However, I've been doing some playing around, and I can't seem to play any
audio CDs using gcd or grip, so *perhaps* there might be something wrong
with my new CDROM drive after all.

Paul
-----
>On Tuesday 18 December 2001 06:16 pm, you wrote:
> > I know this is not the help you wanted, but can you try a different
>CDrom
> > reader? is this one correctly configured in BIOS? I am only guessing,
>but
> > if it booted once from the CDrom, unless the CD was damaged, it should
>boot
> > again? don't you think? maybe you just got a bad cd? or was downloaded
>bad.
> >
> > On Tuesday 18 December 2001 18:03, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Borrowed the 3 CD Mandrake 8.1 distro. (downloaded) from a friend.
>Booted
> > > off CD 1, everything going OK until the install suddenly hangs when
> > > prompting me for CD #2; eventually had to cancel. The install then
> > > *skipped* a few important steps (create bootdisk, install bootloader).
> > >
> > > After restarting, it came up (albeit with a few warning messages).
> > > I wanted to do a clean re-install, so I placed CD #1 in, and rebooted.
> > > But it won't boot up from the CD.
> > >
> > > Help!!!!!!
> > >
> > > Paul

> > > MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
> > > http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Home: 263-2822   Work: 482-2843  Pager: 268-1780
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.localendar.com/public/consultant4hire