Ed Tharp wrote:

> On Thursday 20 December 2001 13:38, you wrote:

> > Alexander Skwar wrote:

> > > So sprach »Felix Miata« am 2001-12-20 um 11:33:32 -0500 :

> I want an automagical install that knows what i will be doing next year too..
> that way i won't have to change anything when my needs change...

> > > Why should it?  Newbies (the target audience of Mandrake) normally don't
> > > do this.

> > Because they are constantly being bombarded with the need to do so. This
> > doesn't work - recompile kernel. That doesn't work - recompile kernel.
> > This is broke - recompile kernel. That is broke - recomple kernel.
> > Virtually all modems in new systems are driver dependent. The basic
> > tools to make a system work right after a less than 100% working install
> > should be installed by default. An entire development suite shouldn't be
> > necessary, but what newbie is going to know the difference between full
> > development package install and what he really needs to make his system
> > work right?

> so maybe about 12 levels of "install" instead of the three now avail. Do you
> figure it would cause MORE confusion? less see.. we got workstation,
> developer and server, (not counting SNF)
> and we need secretary (installs only office apps, and no other stuff no
> server apps at all),
> game edition,
> linux-user, (some compilers etc)
> newbie (no root user so cann't screw anything up, but allows user to
> shutdown).
> webserver
> samba file server edition
> and best of all, the "AUTOMAGIC" edition

Secretaries, newbies and gamers all need automatically installed at
system installation whatever support is going to be needed when they
encounter the need for some system software change as a result of a
hardware addition that isn't automatically handled by harddrake or kudzu
or whatever. I don't see the fake modem manufacturers making
distro-specific instructions or rpms, so this thing is going to be a
frequent problem unless the distros start providing modem driver rpms.
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/